I started making meditation a daily habit sometime in 2015. I can’t really imagine life without it now. It has become an anchor in my life to help me get back to the present moment. It has also allowed me to comfortably handle stress times at work or in life. It does not seem like the majority of society have understood the benefits of meditation on a spiritual or scientific level even in the face of a huge amount of evidence.
This post serves as a brief intro into meditation as well as several techniques I have used to achieve present moment awareness and a sense of calm.
Goal of Meditation:
As a living being we should see life as calm and peaceful. By mistaking the thoughts of the mind to be who we really are we can cause self suffering through what-if scenarios, anger, desire, and ignorance. I believe the goal of meditation is to be self aware of thoughts and recognize they are not who we are. Through self-awareness (mindfulness) we can calm the mind and be peaceful regardless what is going on in the external world.
My meditation routine:
20 minutes in the morning before work
30 minutes during lunch break
20 minutes before bed.
I sit in a chair and close my eyes. I make sure my spine in straight and I am not slouching over. I then implement one or several of the methods listed below.
- Calm app
- Calm Vibes Playlist on Spotify
- Observe your breath
- do not try to control it. Just observe it and forget about everything else.
- Observe your thoughts
- thoughts like our body, our emotions are impermanent. Observe your thoughts as if they were clouds in the sky and watch them pass by without entangling yourself in them.
- Close your mouth and breathe through just nose and repeat a mantra during every in and out breath.
- Mantra can be anything (examples: ‘peace’, ‘calm’, ‘here’, ‘present’)
- As you inhale and exhale count up from 1 to 10 and then count down from 10 to 1. If you lose count you can just start over.
I hope these resources can help make meditation a daily habit for you.